Review: My Lady Jane

Saturday, July 9, 2016
My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows




My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows
Published: 06-07-2019
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Genre: Young Adult Historical Fiction (emphasis on fiction)
Source: Personal Library
Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble
The comical, fantastical, romantical, (not) entirely true story of Lady Jane Grey. In My Lady Jane, coauthors Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have created a one-of-a-kind fantasy in the tradition of The Princess Bride, featuring a reluctant king, an even more reluctant queen, a noble steed, and only a passing resemblance to actual history - because sometimes history needs a little help.
At sixteen, Lady Jane Grey is about to be married off to a stranger and caught up in a conspiracy to rob her cousin, King Edward, of his throne. But those trifling problems aren't for Jane to worry about. Jane gets to be Queen of England.
Like that could go wrong.
{Synopsis from Barnes and Noble website}

My Lady Jane was such a joy to read! The writing is clever and smart, the story is playful, and the characters have amazing personality. Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows have done an amazing job of making sure the writing flows through all the chapters and the reader forgets that the book has multiple authors. Interjections from the authors throughout the book add its laugh out loud humor and the banter between the characters is just fabulous.

The story takes place during the reign of King Edward Tudor, prior to the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, and sexism in society abounds. Jane values her independence and commands respect from others as she works to have her voice heard. To say the forced marriage between Jane and G (please, for the sake of all things holy, don't call him Gifford) was strained would be putting it mildly. Before the relationship can develop beyond irritation and potential loathing, respect for one another must emerge. A prominent theme in the book is this shift in the views of male characters as they realize that women have just as much ability to rule and lead as men - some of them being much better suited to the leadership role.

In the past, I've noticed that while I'm completely wrapped up in the romance happening in what I'm reading, when I put the book down I realize it was actually quite nauseating. Not so in My Lady Jane. I think this says a lot about the views of the authors and their desire to give Jane Grey more power and  a better ending than the history books report. She is not a wilting flower but any means. Jane has earned a place as a favorite literary character.

I'm definitely going to be fangirling over My Lady Jane for quite some time. The retelling of the reign of Jane Grey introduces humor into what was originally a very sad tale and even includes a little fantasy. It's going to be very difficult for me to restrain myself from running up to all of my friends and yelling, "OMG MY LADY JANE is AMAZING, go read it RIGHT NOW." I visited the website for the book and discovered that today, July 9, marks the beginning of Jane Grey's 9 day reign as queen. Each day will have new content on the website and online events to celebrate Jane Grey. Make sure you visit the site to join in on the fun!

Have you read My Lady Jane yet? What were your favorite parts? If you haven't read it, what one earth are you waiting for?! (It's been out a whole month! What have you been doing with your time?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 The Nerdy Bookcase
Template by These Paper Hearts